In my life every day is international women’s day because I’m constantly surrounded by boss women. Some are my family and some are my friends. Some are strangers or writers and actors. But they have all taught me lessons. So in honour of March 8th and all the fierce women in the world I’m going to tell you some of those lessons. From cool women. About being formidable. About being a woman. About being a human.
1. It’s important to identify as a feminist. Don’t hide from the word for fear of what people will think of you.
2. If people aren’t feminist then they’re on the wrong side of history anyway.
3. Intersectionality is paramount. Keep your heart open to other people’s experiences.
4. It’s okay to like the colour pink and wear high heels. It’s also okay to wear men’s shirts and think make up makes you look like a clown. These stereotypes don’t define you. Like whatever the fuck you want to like.
5. You’re allowed to cry. That doesn’t make you ‘hysterical’ or ‘weak’.
6. You’re allowed to be assertive and demand a room’s attention. This does not make you ‘bossy’. It makes you fierce.
7. Find women who you can confide in and be vulnerable with. They are your soul mates.
8. Don’t let other people’s success make you feel like you’re failing. You’re not.
9. Don’t take your sisters for granted. They’re pretty cool. And they’ll always be there.
10. Men are essential to the feminist movement. Don’t alienate them.
11. Don’t ever feel like you can’t do something. I don’t care what society has told you your whole life. They’re wrong.
12. Being the object of their admiration is not your job. It’s okay if people don’t like you. Pleasing people is exhausting anyway.
13. If you don’t want to fucking smile, don’t. The world won’t alter irreparably.
14. Call out sexism when you see it. Otherwise it won’t ever change.
15. Don’t be afraid to stand out. Being what everyone expects you to be is boring anyway.
16. Your mum really does have all the answers. So stop ignoring her calls and seek her endless wisdom.
17. Sometimes you can just lie in pjs and watch Netflix. It’s hard to fight the patriarchy every day. Make sure to recharge.
18. Go out of your way to tell other people why you think they’re amazing.
19. Be strong and resilient. You’ll work twice as hard as most men have to for the same result and that’s not fair. But we’re going to change that. Remember to celebrate your victories and achievements.
20. You are never done learning. Keep your mind and your heart open to the world even when it challenges you not to. Especially then.
The future is fucking female.
Happy International Women’s Day, friends!
Dream – Gabrielle
Leave a Reply